Painted Panel by J.O. Brown RSA
The panel was presented by the Lodge to Grand Lodge in 1869 as part of the wall decoration of the Freemason's Hall in George Street which was opened in 1859. This Freemason's Hall was demolished in 1910, and the panel returned to the Lodge provided we met the expense of dismantling and removing it.
The Mercat Cross and High Kirk of St Giles
The scene depicted belongs to the 18th Century and shows a proclamation being declared from the Mercat Cross, the High Kirk of St Giles and the Luckenbooths. The Luckenbooths, built in 1450 and demolished in 1817, were a block of houses over locked shops, or booths.
The canvas was painted by J.O. Brown RSA in 1869. In 1969 Bro. William Watt donated £250 to cover the cost of cleaning the picture and the production of four colour printing blocks which were used to print Christmas cards.